I'm an almost 38 wife and mom, transplanted from Massachusetts almost 15 years ago (shh...never say THAT too loud..). Historically, I am the youngest of 5 children, someone who has a rather distant relationship with my siblings, and a close relationship with my parents.
My husband and I have been married for 8 years, he came into my life with a 2 year old son, who is now a 12 year old big brother to our 6 year old little girl. We have 2 dogs, who keep things noisy and moving when the 6 year old and her friends aren't doing enough of it.
I am at home, but not really "retired" as my spouse and I joke. He and I run his business, and I consult from home. I do feel the luxury of not needing to contribute to the household finances, but feel the loss of my career and the autonomy that came with it. In the end, I don't feel I will return to full time "out of the home" work again. I am truly only interested in being there and being involved with my family - maybe as time goes on, I will feel differently. (I guess I should reserve the right here and now to change my mind in the process of my blog writings)
My daughter starts 1st grade at the local public school August 29. This will be the first time since she was 2 years old that we will be apart most of the day. I am still torn about homeschooling vs traditional schooling - I routinely say I haven't shut that door completely. The class sizes are very small, and her teacher is a lovely lady whom I know she will purely adore, I am willing to branch out in baby steps.
What do I do when I have free time? I am a HUGE blog reader..I follow quite a few each day, and I guess this is part of what has compelled me to begin my own. I love to read (fiction, nonfiction, mystery, magazines, newspapers - I read it ALL!), I LOVE to knit and usually have a project handy for any possible free moment regardless of where I am, or where I am going. Socks, sure..always...I can knit those anywhere, but for example in a dark movie theater, a great mindless stockinette project is always 1/2 done around here somewhere. I love music (all kinds), love to sing (and do so badly and usually LOUD), love art museums, beautiful scenery and quiet moments.
One of the exercises I have wanted to commit to "paper" is a take off on the Wife Swap concept. I love to see the "lazy" Wife read the "over active" Wife's daily schedule. On Monday, I intend to try to capture my day and commend it to paper. Monday will be a typical summer day with a houseful here by the pool in the afternoon. Tuesday should be quiet day, so I will make notes to capture that as well. After school begins I will update again. I am hopeful this activity will help guide me to find areas where I could use my time better.
I try to devote a small portion of each day to quiet reflection. We are blessed to live atop a beautiful hill, with gorgeous views (photos will be posted at a later time). Day or night, I sit and order my mind while I gaze of into the distance. I am not terribly religious, nor do I pray...I simply reflect and take the time to be thankful for the life we have.
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment