I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
~ Lloyd Dobler

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Camp Canine Good Citizen Award

Yes, an odd title for a post, but boy...Lola is really the winner.

Now we all know that she's well behaved, right? We all know how much she is loved by everyone she meets..well...sometimes it takes the "wild child" dog in the neighborhood to REALLY show how good she actually is.

I should explain that at Camp, basically, there are a select few dogs allowed. Two of the dogs there this summer had been there before. Two were new. Lola being one, and well..the delinquent being the other. I should also preface this post by adding that I LIKE the little rebel, but boy there is an obedience need there...

We will call this doggie..."O". During the course of the summer, "O" jumped on visiting people, ran around upper camp a little wild, and more than once (apparently) got into the trash behind the kitchen. This dog also loves to be wet, so even if she was behaving, she may be soaking wet at that very moment, and apt to shake when she stands right next to you.

Every time I was there when she was, I would hear her owner saying one of 3 things.

"O!...O!" - in the "come here, where the hell are you?" call
"O!...O!" - in the "oh my god what are you doing now?" tone of voice
or, lastly I heard the owners say just about every day I was there...
"I'm REALLY sorry..."

Today however, was the icing on the cake. Bless this poor puppy's heart she's not even at Camp anymore...but still providing entertainment! I am working on the Camp book, and one of the summer's activities is that the campers all take 5 day hikes (she went too). On this particular hike, that her owner was the head of, was a survivalist hike...they were to forage for food, catch what they would eat for the 5 days.

Each day one camper would write the daily log of events. (which I am now editing)

On day 2 of the survivial hike, the log entry read basically, "In the morning we split into 2 groups, one went to the lake to fish, the other stayed in the woods to set the traps. We spent the morning setting the traps, but when we went back to get the bait for them "O" had eaten it."

I. Laughed. Right. Out. Loud!!!

For 5 minutes....

I'm pretty sure O won't be back next year...

Did I mention that O also swiped Lola's bone (gone), Hedgie (long gone), and Santa Baby (which we found) at some point this summer?

FROM THE TOP OF THE BOOKCASE IN THE BOX WHERE I LEFT THEM SO SHE COULDN'T REACH THEM?

1 comment:

TheBlackSheep said...

Oh, sounds like a real Gem (owner, not dog). At least mine are a bit better behaved.


Poor Lola, I hope you got her a new bone!