You'd think after 2 1/2 years of primary school under our belts, Anna would have brought something mildly inappropriate to school long before now. Nope. And today, I just stood back and let her do it. In my home, there is kind of a no big deal approach to the human body and nudity in general. I have always wanted her to know that not all women look like Elle McPherson, and not all men look like, well you fill in the blanks of your perfect specimen. The standard line when discussing any of this is "It's standard equipment, it may look a little different in some ways on different bodies, but it's NOT a big deal. EVERYONE has the same standard equipment" This brings us to today, as we are heading out the door and she remembers it's her share day. The class has been studying the human body, the SKELETAL system. Anna decides to bring her rather graphic Human Body book to school to share. Yup, the one with depictions (photographic) of the reproductive system (and related EQUIPMENT), the one with little drawings of a gestational baby..oh yeah, THAT'S the book.
So what did I do? I said nothing, and laughed a little inside...I had images in my head of the pages she might choose to share....putting her teacher on the spot..hee hee hee...a little excitement in second grade. Then she came home. "Oh Anna, did you share your book? Did everyone think it was cool? Did you pick a certain page you wanted to show or just flip around the pages?"
Go ahead, guess. What page do you think ?
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment