I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
~ Lloyd Dobler

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Birthday Malfunction

This year we have a problem. A birthday problem.

Normally, the "theme" is settled on months in advance, and idea formulation begins. We are limited in scope mostly because it's JANUARY in New England, so all the fun ideas escape us like bouncy houses and pool parties - I would love to do an UN birthday this year really, but she's still too small for that concept. (Maybe next year!!!)

The issue this year is lack of focus. God knows 7 year olds aren't focused on much, so really, what can I expect?? A month ago she wanted an Egyptian Birthday (huh??) and I set to thinking about that - I didn't get much further than cake and invite ideas when she said she really didn't want that..crap.

The next concept to cross the threshold was a Webkinz birthday. Not so great...she has an obscene # of the little darlings, so really, beyond the fact that we wouldn't need to buy decorations, I don't feel the love.

Just yesterday, HORSES came up. That might be do-able....but she also loves Hannah Montana (really, what little girl DOESN'T these days??) so here we are 3 weeks to go and no damned clue. I need to mail just generic invites and have it be a big surprise for all. With the amount of snow, I think a sledding bash is in order, but dammit, we did that 2 years ago WHEN WE HAD BARELY A FOOT OF SNOW ON THE GROUND.

Wish me luck. I can say at this late date, there will be no papier mache, there will be no knitted or sewed items...there will be a party, and of course, there will be a chocolate fountain, but beyond that....who the hell knows??

No comments: