I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
~ Lloyd Dobler

Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas Revisted

So Christmas is over here on the top of the hill. It was a nice time all around. Our fun began a few days before hand when I began trying to make angels wings for the dear child to wear Christmas Eve to church. I googled "how to make angels wings" and ended up an Family Fun Magazines webpage. I have NEVER enjoyed this publication...I like their helpful How Tos even less.

Let me say this instructions started with 9 gauge aluminum wire...13 FEET of it. I twisted and turned it and pretzeled it up, we ended up with MASSIVE elephant ears. HEAVY elephant ears. The shape wasn't all together bad, but they were almost as tall as the angel herself. We tried to make them work..they were not going to stay on without duct tape and some sort of parachute harness.

Enter my fabulous friend who sews. Fab Friend offers to MAKE an angel gown, (WHEE!!!) I still am convinced I WILL MAKE THE WINGS. The 20 lb wings were not meant to be. We then try to make angel wings with white dry cleaner coathangers. I am not convinced, I still think they look like coathangers. Gimpy. No Good. FINALLY FINALLY at a Secret Santa gathering of the Secret Society another of the ladies announces SHE has wings (and a halo too!) Holy Moley they were FEATHERED...add those to the gorgeous gown, and hell, we had a proper angel.



Getting tired of standing here...



Clearly not an angelic pose....



Let me say, church took forever...the folk singing was 'ish, and well...I was ready to leave about 20 minutes before we finally could. My parents on the other hand, loved it all. Well, they do go to church all the time and I don't so I guess I had to just deal.

We did have some fun this year with questions from the somewhat confused 1st year CCD student. Question #1 while looking at the nativity set - "Where are Adam and Eve?" uh, wrong story...Question #2 "Was Jesus born on Christmas?" Not really..then "Why do we have Christmas?" well, because they say that Jesus was a gift from God to all the people of the world, and that was a big gift, so other people wanted to give gifts to people they loved I guess. Question #3 ""Jesus died, right?" yup..."Someone killed him?" yup...."well then, was it murder?" um....um....kinda, but not really..it all was supposed to kind of work out that way. "That's confusing." yup...you need to talk to Grandma about all this, I'm the wrong one to ask... I personally can't wait (as if) for all the discussion around Easter...man oh man...

So we returned home to have my kind of Christmas fun, there was the sprinkling of reindeer food with Grandma and Grandpa, and a great book to read with Grandpa called A Creature Was Stirring - then off to bed..then set up the gifts under the tree.










The dog was great, he found his bag as soon as it was placed, walked over, put his huge head all the way into it, then lay down right in front of it. He wasn't going anywhere.



Christmas morning was great all around - the little kid, the big kids, (the big dog) all gifts were well received. The laptop and the Wii were HUGE successes. Guitar Hero was a smash and boy, I need to practice. I just love the darn Wii, and I passionately HATE video games. I need to get some pictures of the game play.







One last comment on the Christmas photos above. My digital camera has been acting freaky for a month or 2, so I bought a 2 pack of disposable cameras and ended up with these CRAP photos...I am annoyed and unhappy, but sadly, this is our record of our Christmas this year. UGH.

1 comment:

British Daffodilly said...

Happy New Year Mme L~

Lets hope it is a healthy one with lots of knitting & margarita's!

Lots of Love

Daffodilly